Sunday, October 25, 2009

Month One (Let the Countown Begin)

In the twelve days leading up to Nathanael's first birthday, I posted a picture a day for each of the first twelve months of his life. It felt entirely indulgent at the time, but I am going to do it again. I am surprised how much I love my kids' birthdays, especially since mine means very little to me and birthdays aren't a huge deal in my family, but I do love celebrating my people, and especially my little people. So, brace yourselves for a whole lot of Abby in the next couple of weeks!

I loved the first month of my girl's life. Nursing was easier, sleeping easier, my recovery easier, everything easier than with Nate. There was a lot of adrenaline and the decision to not worry about her sleeping habits (as in, who cares if she sleeps on my chest?) proved to be one of the best parenting decisions I've made to date. I was out and about at parks with her when she was only a week old and loved wearing her. (Incidentally, these days whenever I see someone wearing a baby, my uterus begins doing somersaults and my heartbeat begins to sound something like babybabybabybabybabybabybaby. I love wearing babies and the time to do it is so short!) Abby felt like a dream the first month, sleeping for stretches up to 5 hours at a time and taking naps that lasted more than 2 hours. She did always have a grumpy time in the evening from around 7 to 9, but that was about the only time she ever cried. Oh, except for in the carseat. And that was about the most insane crying I've ever from heard either of my children, every single time.

1 comment:

Murry said...

absolutely abbey lou's best newborn picture ever!!! so precious!